“You shouldn’t listen to a certain type of music in order to fit in, just listen to whatever makes you happy.”

  Kelvin Jones is a soulful-poppy artist, the new voice of a young generation. The Bristol uni drop out don’t talk much about those days, as his attendance wasn’t the best one due to his involvement in music.  Jones found success when his song “ Call you Home” went viral. It find it’s way on Reddit, and Good Morning America, since then he’s been touring in the UK and Europe, especially in Germany where his success is undeniable.
  
   I meet up with him in Rough Trade East, and weirdly enough it didn't feel like an interview. It felt like I was catching up with an old friend. Kelvin has this kindness and warmth that makes you feel at ease within seconds. He fought to get his parent’s consent, “it was rough”, he says with a smile. “It’s kind of an all in thing and they wanted me to have an education as well. It was a rough few months but, once they understood how much it meant to me, they were fully behind me and they still are.” Jones didn’t have a musical childhood, as his parents weren’t into music, “I don’t know where it came from,” confess the artist “my mom was into gospel bands and my dad just listened to whatever was on the radio with a distance ear.” Jones came across music through a slight obsession for 'Moonwalker', the Michael Jackson movie, which he saw more than ten times.

    He picked up the guitar a few years ago, after a John Mayer show, he persevered despite the pain, setting himself small goals along the way. “Within the first week I wrote a song with only one chord. I was genuinely proud of myself and I showed it to my brother, he wasn’t impressed, but I didn’t care. I carried on.” He never stopped since. Founding his sound in a mix between Michael Jackson, BB King, Liam Gallagher and John Mayer. "It's a two part thing. The guitar part with BB King and Mayer. They taught me how to express myself through the guitar not just lyrics. And then, there's the catchy part, that’s where MJ and Liam Gallagher inspired me.” Not only did they inspire him, but Jones is signed under Epic Records, which is part of the Sony Music Group, which signed most of these artists. "I'm part of the crew, in the same school really and there's nothing better than that. I do believe there's a place for me in the Sony Label." The proud smile on his face is well deserved, the young artist didn't even need to call up labels and try to get in the industry. After his big hit with "Call You Home", managers and labels came to him and all he had to do is choose. That is what happens when you have talent.

   In spite of his newfound success, Kelvin is down to earth. When asked how his relatives and friends reacted to "all of it", he explains with a metaphor :"it's like I got this really drastic haircut, really quickly and everybody starts noticing but underneath it all; I'm still the same dude. I lost some friends, some relationships change but my friends are still 80% of my crowd." According to Jones, the most difficult relationships are the ones with other musicians, "whenever you hang out with another friend who's a musician, you never know if it's 'Hi you wanna hang out or work'. Those relationships can be extremely tense and awkward sometimes."  Although his success isn’t as massive in the UK as in Germany, Kelvin explains it in an amusing way, “it’s like when you have a fancy belt underneath a white plain shirt, and you’re walking around thinking: ‘You guys have no idea I have this fancy belt underneath’. In Germany I have this growing fan base and whenever I get back to the UK, I feel like I go back to normality. It still feels surreal sometimes, but it feels good to be back to being myself.”

  The Vietnam War and political issues in the US have inspired Bob Dylan for his songs, however as Jones said, “I’m not Bob Dylan”. His songs may be considered as bubble-gum pop when it comes to the lyrics, but there are all based on his experiences, “I’ve only written one song that wasn’t from my experience. At the beginning I thought that maybe I should do something different, but the only thing that is massively important to me, as a 19 years old, is love.” However, the young artist does not take in consideration anything else but his feelings when writing a song, as he deems it manipulative to write a song to please others, “I write whatever is going in my head and it is a great coincidence some people feel the same way.”


  Kelvin went on tour with Izzi Bizu, which is the follow up to a 24 University dates tour, a one date with James Bay and Seafreat as well as a vast European tour with Mark Foster. Jones describes his experience as support artist with a gigantic smile “It is so much fun to win people over, and they are so welcoming as well. They all are so ready to accept whatever you have to offer. It is incredible!” However, he still knows there’s a long route to go, talking about a festival he was at a couple of years ago, meeting Ed Sheeran, James Bay and performing on the same stage, you can sense that he is swamped with this unexpected success, “you always feel like there is a wall and you never assume you could be on the other side. I don’t consider myself to be there yet but I don’t think there’s a moment where you just sit and think yes I have done it. There’s always something to look forward to as an artist.”  The dream he is pursuing is the ‘CrossRoads Guitar’ festival. Founded by Eric Clapton in 1999 the festival is set every three years and Clapton chooses the artists himself. Jones sees it as a ‘maybe dream’, the kind of dreams you wish for silently.

   To spice the tone of the interview a bit, I asked him if he ever had a near death experience or a situation where he thought he would not make it alive, he came up with a pretty interesting story about this tiny plane travelling through so much turbulences it felt like a rollercoaster, “the worst was all I could think about was that I did not finish this song and this is the last song every one is going to hear from me.”

   Before leaving Kelvin gave me some words of advice, “you shouldn’t listen to a certain type of music in order to fit in, just listen to whatever makes you happy.” On this wise words you can catch Kelvin’s album on the 25th of March through Epic Records , in a few festivals this year, and most likely a headline tour at the end of the year. “2016 is the year to see me” he jokingly finishes the interview.


Listen to Call You Home, Closer 
Follow Kelvin here, here, here and here


Noura x



best of crossmusics

Image

Farewell Her